Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Monday, June 25, 2012

Having a Grrrrrrrr Moment





Her: Tonight my lovely, amazing, patient husband drove our four oldest children to a movie playing at the local park.  He very sweetly allowed me to keep the baby home so I didn't have to freeze to death while entertaining a 1 1/2 year old and watching a movie for the second time that I hated the first time. Yay me!  

Best of all my little munchkin and I were about to have alone time, yippy!  She was not so thrilled to see all her big sisters drive away in the car but I quickly bribed her with a malt ball and her fussing ceased. We ventured out to lock up the chickens when she said “chicken” for the first time.  Adorable.

Now for book time.  So I am not good at reading to my kids.  Ok terrible.  Homeschooling has helped a little but pretty much if you want a book read around the Tucker house you’re gonna have to read it to yourself.  I hate that I don’t do it.  It makes me feel like a mommy failure.  So tonight was a night to read to my munchkin.  I was so excited.  I was going to erase my mommy failures and start fresh.  One on one, looking at every picture, reading the story over and over, here we go!

I got the first book out, put the baby on my lap, and then it happened.  She began to violently rip the book from my hand screaming as I resisted.  She pulled with superhuman strength, too.  Like it was the last morsel of food on the entire planet and she was starving to death.  “Well this is not going as well as expected”, I thought.  I gave her the book and encouraged her to open it herself.  She slammed it shut screaming “No”. Well actually, “MMmmmoooooo”.  She doesn’t quite have her “n” sound down yet.  I set the book aside trying to reason with her.  As I gave my “be kind to mommy” speech her screams grew louder and louder. She began trashing her body around which culminated into the most explosive kiddy headbutt I’ve ever received.  Awesome.

And just like that book time was over.  I took my screaming, writhing child to her crib and put her to bed.  No mommy failure recovery today.  Me and my swollen forehead are going to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment