Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Planning vs. Spontaneity


Anyone who knows Troy and I well knows that we love to banter. It's our way of laughing off our differences - annoying to some but hilarious to us.  Here's a little taste . . .


Him: I love to get up on a Saturday morning before my wife and kids, sometimes before the sun, and put in a few miles while the rest of the world is asleep. By the time I get home my family is usually awake and about their business – breakfast in p.j.'s, the three year-old is brushing up on her Spanish with Dora, the oldest three are building a fort out of blankets in the living room and the baby is back and forth checking up on everybody like she owns the place. This is all music to my ears. All I need is a quick shower, breakfast on the back patio with my wife, and I'm ready to pack the car and get out for the day. We've got great hiking all around us as near as a couple blocks away, the beach is about a 30 minute drive, and both Santa Barbara and LA are within an hour. Time to be spontaneous and get away for the day.



Her: Hmmm, sounds exciting! Don't you want to map out the locations first so that we can hit the most stops in the least amount of time?  Oh, and if we go tomorrow instead of today I can get a couple loads of laundry done so that everyone's favorite outfits are clean and an extra set in case there are any spills. Then I'll run to the grocery store so we can pack a cooler of food so the trip will be cheaper. And we should probably sit down and run through the bills too just to make sure we have enough money for this adventure.


Him: There's no time for all that! The day is still young with a cool breeze. If we hurry to the trailhead we can catch a view of the beach before it gets hot. We'll decide what to do with the rest of our day on our way up. I'll grab the camelbak and stuff some snacks in it for a quick break at the top. Don't stress about laundry… it'll be there tomorrow.


Her:  Ok, I'll grab the kids and pray no one spills, pees or throws up! Can I just grab some bug repellent? Bandaids? Sunscreen? Don't drive away, I'm coming!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! "The Tucker side is strong with this one" - must be, because that is totally Bryan and I, too. Me: "Where are we going? What do I need to bring? How long will we be gone?" Bryan: "I don't know. We'll figure it out on the way." Me: *system overload*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally made me laugh! Great blog post! God sure does have a sense of humor when it comes to match making LOL...however, He creates the perfect compliment for us, doesn't he? Our spouses make us stronger in our weak areas and challenges us to be humble is our strong ones ;). For both, he brings us to our knees so we grow closer to Him...very clever :).

    ReplyDelete