Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rules: To Be Followed or Broken?


Her: I love to follow the rules. From street signs, little signs on buildings, teachers in school, any rule I am on it. Why drive 65? Because the sign says. Rules like no parking, no food or drink, stay on the path, do not remove tag. Yes, I've been known to sneak snacks in a movie theater and drive over the speed limit once in a while but generally if there is a rule I follow it!

Him: Rules are more guidelines than requirements. You have to look at the intent. When a sign says, "No Running in the Hall" what it really means is- no falling and breaking yourself only to come back and sue us. So, of course, I run in halls- with or without the sign- but I don't turn around and sue someone because I'm a klutz (which I'm certainly not, of course). And don't get me started on monopolies like movie theaters that rip me off because they can. Seriously, an $8 soda? What, is it laced with cocaine? That soda cost them all of twenty cents and they think it's cool to make 4000% profit on it. Why do I sneak in snacks? Because I can.

Her: But the rule says no. Not if you feel like it or maybe. It's pretty definitive don't you think? And what if you get caught? Isn't that just the worst feeling? Everyone will know you were naughty!

Him: What feeling? Naughty? You lost me! I get feelings… feelings like, why do I have to stop at this light, it's 2:00AM and there's not a car on the road, red light, really?!?! Or…I don't need some 15 year old life guard telling me I can't dive into six feet of water, I've been doing it for years, haven't hit my head yet.

Her: Ouch! My head is hurting just at the thought!

Him: I guess I must concede; there are a few rules that have merit… a few that actually bear logic. They all start the same…Thou shalt not…

1 comment:

  1. This cracks me up...sounds exactly like our house! I love the blog, it makes me feel like I'm keeping up with you!

    ReplyDelete