Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Friday, May 18, 2012

Adorable Interruption



Her:  If you know me at all you know that I am always going.  And going.  And going.  And going. And I love every minute of it.  This is why I can home school, raise five kids, blog and start a new business all at the same time.  This is the way God made me and it serves me well.  But what I am not good at is stopping to smell the roses.  How would I do that?  I am always zooming by at 100 miles an hour.  I don’t even see the roses! Troy is amazing at this and I have found myself learning from his example over the years.  I am beginning to appreciate the journey more and more, not just the finished product.

The change has been slow and sometimes painful.  I have to make a conscious effort to do this and many days my flesh gets in the way.  I just want to get SOMETHING done.  I am tortured by the call of things unfinished and find life’s interruptions inconvenient to say the least.  But I have made progress!  I can see it with my kiddos: letting them finish their stuttering sentences, watching them play, interacting with them more.  This has been a struggle for me, a learned art. 

There is nothing wrong with being a doer.  Today I got up at 7:30 a.m. and accomplished the following:  got ready for the day, read my blog devotions, helped my oldest make eggs, loaded the dishwasher, started, finished, folded and put away a load of laundry, got my youngest ready for the day, received two phone calls, ate breakfast (This was a feat all of its own.  I had to reheat my breakfast burrito 3x!), all while babysitting my younger two, homeschooling the older three and correcting behavior frequently (with five there is always someone needing guidance). Now it was time to start blogging.  I sat down in front of my computer at 9:45 a.m. when my hubby dropped by unannounced.  I am usually fully annoyed by such interruption but today I just enjoyed him.  He left and I was back to work.  10:05 a.m. I was heading back to the computer when this crawled into my lap:


 And her dolly . . .


And now her dolly in her shoe . . .


  Now dolly is dancing on my computer.


 And I loved every minute of it.

I am finding so much joy in my new found peace. A little more Mary and a little less Martha. 
Luke 10:38-42 :)

2 comments:

  1. You & I are peas in a pod! I had to be fully stopped to get this. We're making progress, little by little. Love you my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bedrest will totally force you to surrender. With God's direction we will conquer this!

      Delete