Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day


Him: Anybody know what this holiday is all about… I mean aside from the first three day weekend that kicks-off summer every year? Retailers have a hay-day with sales through the weekend and everyone is concerned about where/how they will take advantage of the extra day off. For most people I would imagine that’s it… unless they’ve had someone close to them who has served in the military. Growing up, the closest thing I had to anyone who served this country was my grandfather who was in and out long before I was born. I’m grateful for his service but it was never made more real to me until the 21 gun salute that ushered his body into the ground and left me with chills and a great sense of pride.

Of the tens of millions who have served since the American Revolution over 200 years ago, about 1.2 million have paid the ultimate price to protect life, liberty and our ability to welcome each summer with a trip to the beach or a backyard barbeque. Because of their sacrifice we are granted the freedom to remember and celebrate them or lounge poolside with our favorite brew in hand for the roughly 70 Memorial Day weekends that we’ll spend on this earth.

If this sounds irreverent, it should. As a country we fail to honor their memory. I’ll stay out of the politics and the economics of it. The bottom line, they owed us nothing but gave us everything and most of us fail to take the time to remember them.

Memorial Day reminds me of another sacrifice made over 2000 years ago that bought us much more than a few dozen three day weekends and a lifetime of American liberty. Christ’s death on that cross paid the price for our sins. He took this wretch and made me His treasure. The freedom I have in Him on this earth and the eternity that awaits me through His resurrection is incomparable. It’s everything and it cost me nothing.

This Memorial Day I Honor our soldiers, Remember their sacrifice, Enjoy the freedoms they’ve paid for and recognize that we are eternal beings and that Christ’s sacrifice was truly the ultimate price for which we reap the ultimate reward.



No comments:

Post a Comment