Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Monday, May 21, 2012

Simple Flower Tutorial



Her:  I love love love to crochet!  I got the bug when I was pregnant with my last baby and furiously scoured YouTube for tutorials on how to make pretty things.  So far I’ve made sock monkeys, Christmas ornaments, headbands, baby hats, blankets, purses and a ton of stuff half finished piled in a big bin.  (Sometimes I lose inspiration halfway through a project.  Ok, not sometimes – more like a lot!) But my favorite things to crochet by far are flowers.  A tiny flower crochet with embroidery thread to a giant flower as big as a pillow. Much of my inspiration comes from the Art of Crochet by Teresa on YouTube and her blog which is http://crochet-mania.blogspot.com/.  

Today I am showing you a flower I created for a sewing project. (More on that in another blog post!) Not much color just elegant and simple. Here’s the tutorial:

Yarn: Sugar ‘n Cream                       Color: Cream              Crochet Hook: H
 
Ch=chain, DC=double crochet, SL ST=slip stitch, TC=triple crochet

Flower Base:
Ch 4

SL ST closed


Ch 2

10 DC in Ch 4 loop. (I like to crochet in the dangling string as well so I can cut it off!)

SL ST closed


Flip over and cut off tail so it is out of your way.

Loops for Petals:
Ch 3
Skip one DC on flower base then SL ST into top of next DC. 


 Repeat until you have 5 Ch 3 loops on flower base.


These loops are what you will work into for the 5 petals.

Petals:
SL ST into first Ch 3 loop.
Ch 2, 1 DC, 3 TC, 1 DC, Ch 2
SL ST into first petal again to finish.

SL ST into next Ch 3 loop.
Repeat for all 5 petals.


Once you have finished the last petal cut about a 6 inch piece of yarn.

Pull the yarn looped on your hook until the entire string comes out.


Flip the flower over and thread the remaining yarn through the back of one petal to finish off.



Thread the back though the petal going the opposite direction and cut off.


And there you have it! A fantastically simple but beautiful flower!








2 comments:

  1. Wow...you are amazing. I look at that and I know all I would make would be knots. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment! It is really fun and not as hard as it looks :)

      Delete