Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Monday, May 14, 2012

Another Day of Mothering


Her: I was sitting here weeding through a mound of e-mails when one of my daughters leaned over, hugged me and said, “Mom, thank you for letting me sleep in today.” She then left my room to get ready for the day. When she was in the hall she noticed her 3 year old sister playing with the water in the bathroom sink. She gently reminded her that water is expensive and we must not play in it. She even added, “I know it’s disappointing but it is not a good game.” My heart melted. I felt tears creeping up into my eyes.

You see yesterday did not go as well. My beautiful princess who I love dearly is also stubborn. Not sorta kinda stubborn, more like you will NEVER break me kinda stubborn. I worry. I worry that she is the one that will leave me and never return. I worry that she does not see the love I have for her. That she doesn’t feel accepted. That I don’t really know her heart. I yearn for her but she does not let me in. Being a mom is painful. The rejection can be overwhelming. But I will not give up. God gave her to me. I will fight for her. I will fight for a relationship with her. I will fight for her soul.  

I talk to her. I tell her that I adore her. I tell her that God loves her and that is most valuable.

But, most importantly I pray. I pray that I would be the mom that she needs. I pray that God would fill her and make her whole. I pray that she would receive his love. And then I surrender. I know God has her in his amazing hands and I need to follow his lead.
Today I saw her heart soften a bit. And I can see God working. I know His time is perfect. His love is perfect. His plan is perfect. Today I will walk in that truth.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I have one that I am in the same boat with! It is very difficult and heartbreaking. I don't want that for any of us but I am glad to see I am not alone in this struggle. I will be praying for you and your Princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara - Thanks for your comment. I will being pray for you too! With God we can figure out this whole parenting thing!

      Delete