Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Health and Fitness


Him: When I played football in college I was a lean, mean 195 pounds. My body was like a machine and could perform almost any command I threw at it. I spent hours perfecting form, building strength and developing my agility. But in the last 10+ years I’ve found myself spending a lot more time at a desk and a lot less time tuning the machine that I once was. I'm about 15 pounds heavier and a lot softer. My family has doubled in size… almost three times. Priorities have changed and I don’t find myself in the gym, on the court, or making the moves on defenders that used to provide such a rush- I lived to break down a would be tackler and slide past him for a big gain.

There are times when I get the opportunity to lace up my cleats and when that happens I’m like a giddy little kid again. Only when I take that first step, it’s not explosive like it used to be, my head knows how to set up a defender but my body struggles to execute as I feel my feet stumble. Getting old is humbling but being out of shape just adds insult to injury. I get that I may be past my prime, that I may never dunk a basketball again, that someday a fit 17 year old is going to break my ankles but I’m not going down without a fight.

Allison and I are putting together a few fitness goals and to meet them we’ll be developing individual training plans. Gone are the days where I spent 2+ hours a day in a gym. This plan will incorporate things we enjoy doing that also provide great fitness benefits and as a bonus won’t steal us away from family too long. In fact, many of them will include family- we all hike together, my girls run with me (a great daddy-daughter date), obstacles courses in the backyard (I’m excited to start including the pool in this now that it’s warming up), and many others.

As we continue to work out our goals and a plan to get there we’ll share. We hope to help you think outside the box a little. This means getting off the couch, out of the house (sometimes not),  putting technology and social media aside for a short while and investing in your health... stay tuned, there’s more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment