Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Friday, April 13, 2012

Why Him?




Her: Why did I pick Troy?  Well look at him, ladies!  No, I picked him for a few more reasons than he was the captain of the football team . . . ok, a lot more.   

 When I met Troy I was lost.  Only sixteen at the time, I didn’t know who I was or really where I was going.  I was like a kite blowing in the wind not knowing which direction would bring me the joy I was looking for.  I made choices previously that failed miserably and swore off boys completely.  But Troy was different.  He was a rock.  He didn’t sway in the wind.  He didn’t even move at all.  He knew who he was and where he was going, not to be led away by anyone or anything.  I flew while he anchored me and we became best friends. 
At twenty-one, I had the joy of marrying this amazing man and getting a partner for life.  Over the years we’ve had our ups and downs.  My best friend has let me down and broken my heart on more than one occasion but he is still the rock I was once drawn to.  I have often wished I could move that rock just an inch or so one direction or another to serve my purposes.  Those attempts are rarely successful.  But, then a crisis rolls in and I run straight back to that rock I once tried to move. And, there he is, in the same place he’s been for over sixteen years – right by my side. 
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, so sweet! Fortunately, I'm a romantic, so I love hearing this kind of stuff. And it's a neat parallel to the solidness of God's presence in our lives, since God likens his relationship with those who believe to a marriage relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! God's presence is such an amazing constant in our lives. Isn't he awesome?

      Delete
  2. Awhaha I remember JSB! That picture is awesome! Man how time flies. I do remember when you spent your first year at Vanguard how much you missed Troy and could not wait to be with him again. We all knew how perfect you where for each other. God had His hand on you and guided you to a wonderful marriage and family with Troy (P.S. I have a book if you wanna try for a boy haha - worked for us and a friend :). - Tammie Cassady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is was so fun to dig out all those old pictures. Go Cougars! What an awesome gift that God gave me in Troy. IF we go for six I will definitely need the book!!! Ha, ha!

      Delete