Balance What Matters and Let Go of the Rest

Monday, April 30, 2012

Parenting: Part II - Grace


Her:  I have been overwhelmed trying to write this blog.  The topic of grace is something that I have been learning and growing in for the past few years and I still can’t say that I have completely wrapped my head around the concept.  But, I will share what God has taught me so far. 

Years ago I let go of the world to walk with the Lord.  I let go of being good enough, wise enough, together enough in the world’s eyes.  To some I am still a messy flake to others a neurotic control freak.  You can’t please everyone- it’s too much effort and completely exhausting.

Unfortunately, I transferred my effort into making God happy.  My goal was to be good enough, wise enough and together enough for God. Perfect mom, perfect wife, perfect disciple.  What a complete waste of my efforts because it turns out I am already enough!  I am God’s child and he loves me unconditionally.  I don’t have to do or be anything. He already died on the cross and has given me his grace.

I read this scripture today that solidified this truth to me.   I’ve heard it a million times but it completed rocked my world:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
    and he will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

So, I just have to love him and trust him and he’s got the rest handled.  WOW! And this next scripture blew me away even more:

“However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me - the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.”
Acts 20:24

We get to rest in the Lord Jesus and tell others the good news.  Well, I am in! No need to try and be perfect anymore.  YAY!

How, you may ask, does this apply to your parenting? Here is an excerpt from an amazing book I am reading called Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick & Jessica Thompson. It sums up this topic perfectly:
  
“This is faith. In the same way that you trust in him [God] and not in yourself for your salvation, you can trust in him for the salvation of your children.  You can give yourself grace: he’s in control, he is loving, his plan is best.  And you can give your children grace, too.  Parenting with grace isn’t another set of rules for you to follow.  It’s a story that you’re to rejoice in.  Share the story with your children.  Show them the Savior.  Show them Jesus. Dazzle them with his love.”

We are nothing without him.  He is everything to us. Let’s make sure that we don’t just receive God’s amazing grace in our lives, but we also pass that grace on to our precious little kiddos. 

Until next time rest on this scripture:

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”
2 Corinthians 12:9


No comments:

Post a Comment